Man Drowns in Swimming Pool Onboard Caribbean Princess

A man in his thirties was reportedly found at the bottom of the Caribbean Princess’ Neptune Swimming Pool after drowning sometime before 5:00 a.m. on June 14.  A crew member and several passengers confirmed the man had been drinking on deck 15 of the Caribbean Princess at a party on the pool’s deck and later in the ship’s Skywalkers Lounge. Another passenger confirmed the man was swimming in the pool in the early morning hours. It is unclear if the pool was supposed to be closed at the time of the passenger’s death. It is also unclear as to whether security personnel had been assigned to deck 15 or were patrolling the pool at the time of the accident.  Attempts to resuscitate the passenger were unsuccessful. This is the third drowning incident reported on a Princess Cruises ship.  An eight-year-old was found unconscious at the bottom of the Sapphire Princess in 2015.  In 2014, a 29-year-old woman drowned in a pool, also onboard the Sapphire Princess. INJURED ON A CRUISE SHIP OR CRUISE SHIP EXCURSION? SPEAK TO A CRUISE SHIP ACCIDENT LAWYER TODAY: 1-866-597-4529. If you have been injured on your cruise, on a wet and slippery deck, down a poorly lit staircase or steep gangway, in port on an excursion, on a tender boat or are the victim of cruise ship medical malpractice – it is important that you speak as soon as possible with a lawyer who specializes in personal injury claims against cruise lines. Most cruise lines, including Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Norwegian, MSC, Disney, Holland America, Princess, Costa, Regents Seven Seas and Oceania require that claims against them be pursued in a very specific place under very...

Family Files Lawsuit Against Carnival Cruise Line After Passenger’s Death

A family has filed a lawsuit against Carnival Cruise Line on behalf of their loved one, Jeffrey Eisenman, a 65-year-old passenger who died onboard the Carnival Sunrise.  The lawsuit alleges Carnival would not allow Eisenman off the ship to receive life-saving medical care after he suffered a serious heart attack.  According to the lawsuit filed in Miami Federal Court, Eisenman suffered a heart attack while the Carnival Sunrise was docked at Grand Turk in the Turks and Caicos Islands on December 3.  The doctor onboard the ship said Eisenman would need a stent implanted and that he should be flown to Miami because Grand Turk’s hospital was not equipped with a cardiac unit. The family had purchased insurance that would have covered an air ambulance. However, the Eisenman family was told he could not leave the ship and the ship set sail on its intended course for San Juan, a 21-hour voyage.  Eisenman died overnight on the ship, as his condition continued to decline. The ordeal continued, the family said. Carnival told them that their loved one’s body could not be removed in Puerto Rico because they could not guarantee the body would be returned promptly from the hurricane-ravaged island. Eisenman’s son stayed onboard and accompanied his father’s body back to the U.S., according to the lawsuit.  Eisenman’s body was kept in the ship’s morgue for an additional five days until the ship returned to Port Canaveral. The Eisenman’s allege Carnival Cruise Line was negligent in not recognizing the severity of their father’s medical condition and evacuating him quickly where he could receive the life-saving medical care he needed....

Carnival Corporation Fined $20 Million for Dumping Waste and Other Pollution Violations

Carnival Corporation has plead guilty this week to six different charges involving probation violations for dumping waste into the ocean. A year after Carnival was convicted of dumping waste into the ocean and lying about it to regulators, its ships illegally discharged more than a half-million gallons of treated sewage, gray water, oil and food waste, and burned heavy fuel oil in ports and waters close to shores around the world, according to a court-appointed monitor. As a result, the company now faces a $20 million fine and will go through a strict three-year probation period. The violations come from a series of environmental crimes the cruise company was accused of committing over the course of eight years. They were charged with dumping oily waste into the ocean and later covering up the dumping, beginning in 1998. Carnival resolved the litigation through a $40 million settlement, along with a period of probation, entered in with a conviction in 2016. However, it appears the company later committed violations in relation to these offenses during that probation period. Charges filed against Carnival alleged that the company falsified training records, using a back channel to communicate with the U.S. Coast Guard, not providing the proper authority to the company’s environment compliance officer, dumping food waste and plastic into the waters outside of the Bahamas, and rushing to clean up ships before a court-appointed monitor had a chance to inspect the ships. Upon learning of the alleged violations, U.S. District Judge Patricia Seitz ordered Carnival’s top executives to appear in court. The hearing lasted three and a half hours while the Judge addressed...

MSC Cruise Ship Crash in Venice Sparks Protests

Thousands are protesting the increasing number of cruise ships sailing into Venice, Italy, after the MSC Opera lost control while sailing through the Giudecca Canal, crashing into a small boat and pier on the crowded canal. The collision caused five injuries but frightened many who argue that the accident represents a larger problem. Prior to entering the port, the cruise liner reported engine troubles. The tugboats that were sent out to guide the vessel into the dock were not strong enough to control the ship or stop it from sailing directly into the smaller boat. Videos of the 13-deck ship striking a small river boat and pier have gone viral immediately after the accident. Protest groups, such as “We Are Venice,” or the “No grandi navi” group, which translates to “no big ships” in Italian, are asking for a ban against all cruise vessels in the Venetian canals. These groups believe that this accident is a wake-up call to a problem that has been growing for quite some time. They argue that not only do the larger ships pollute and endanger the waters of the canal, but they also change the quaint and old-world character of the city of Venice. Boats like the Opera bring in more than 2,000 passengers when they dock in the canal. These passengers then go into the city and spend money on food and other entertainment. While tourism is arguably a benefit to the city, the protestors argue that the risks they pose far outweigh the benefits the ships bring. For example, the artwork that local street artists display along the canal are dwarfed...

Royal Caribbean’s Oasis of the Seas Is Getting a $165 Million Makeover

The ship that broke records in 2009 for its size and passenger capacity is about to get yet another makeover. Royal Caribbean Cruise Line has announced plans for a massive makeover of its Oasis of the Seas vessel. The company plans to invest $165 million in renovations and repairs of the ship, which they plan to start in September. The renovations are part of a four-year plan the company has to overhaul ten of its vessels. The plan goes under the name “Royal Amplified,” and includes the recent improvements made to the Navigator of the Seas. The Oasis of the Seas made its official debut in 2009 as the world’s largest cruise ship. The vessel was the first of the mega-sized cruise ships with the capacity to carry over 5,000 passengers and came with a list of unprecedent features at the time. The Oasis remains one of the four largest cruise ships in the world. The renovations include a new attraction known as the Perfect Storm, a trio of multi-story waterslides. The Perfect Storm is currently offered on the Harmony of the Seas. The Oasis will be getting the Ultimate Abyss, which is the longest dry slide at sea, dropping nine decks. It is currently available on the Harmony of the Seas. The Oasis will be updated with a water play area for its youngest passengers, called Splashaway Bay. The attraction will offer smaller versions of waterslides, fountains, pools, drench buckets and water cannons and will replace the current water play area on the ship. The Oasis will also be receiving new pool zones, updated with a Caribbean-style theme,...

Cruise Ship Captain Arrested in Fatal Danube Crash, As Search for Passengers Continues

Hungarian officials continue to search for missing passengers who were tossed overboard, while onboard the Mermaid, an 89-foot double-decker boat. Dozens of passengers, from a 6-year-old girl to a 72-year-old man, were tossed into the fast-moving current as the Mermaid capsized. The Mermaid was on a river cruise voyage carrying a group of South Korean tourists who were on the boat for a tour of the Danube river. The tour boat was passing under the Margaret Bridge during its voyage when it crossed paths with the 442-foot Viking Sigyn. The Viking vessel quickly raced up to the rear of the smaller ship, clipping the boat’s stern and causing it to spin off. The passengers who were on the top deck of the cruise ship taking photographs were tossed into the water, and the Mermaid capsized. It took only seven seconds for the ship to begin sinking, leaving very little time for those on board to react. As of Thursday, Hungarian authorities reported that at least seven passengers had died while 21 remained missing. This tragic accident has been reported as the deadliest boating accident in Hungary in the past 75 years. Authorities are looking into why the Viking boat collided with the Mermaid. The Viking Sigyn’s captain has been taken into police custody as authorities consider criminal charges against the man for his reckless misconduct that led to the accident. It is estimated that 35 people were on board at the time of collision. Concerns have been expressed regarding whether the ship was properly equipped with life vests. Authorities reported that seven passengers who were pulled from the water...
Facebook IconYouTube IconTwitter IconLinkedinLinkedin